We analyzed the Crunchbase Unicorn Leaderboard* of private companies with a valuation of between $500M and $1B, based on CrunchBase data.
Here 6 considerations on next billion dollar companies.
1. E-commerce, Consumer Internet, Software and Financial services
The four hottest sectors in next billion companies raised $5.6B in total and have $25.7B total valuations. E-commerce companies raised the highest amount of funding ($1.7B), collecting the highest total post money valuation ($6.9B).
2. E-commerce companies raise more money
E-commerce companies confirm to be capital intensive businesses. They raised an average of $179M per company.
3. Consumer Internet companies: highest valuations and more “efficiency”
Consumer internet companies, on average, value more than other sector’s companies ($736M). We notice also the highest ratio between post money value and funding: consumer internet companies have been able to create more value with less funding.
4. Financial Services are in the spotlight
5. Next billion Software companies are all based in US
6. E-commerce registers the fastest “time to billion”